Monthly Archives: March 2008
By RHETT MORGAN World Staff Writer
3/12/2008 9:59:58 AM In the largest asbestos-related settlement on record, W.R. Grace & Co. (GRA) agreed Tuesday to reimburse the federal government $250 million. The money was used by the government in the town of Libby, Montana, where hundreds of people were sickened by asbestos, including some that died. The investigation and cleanup cost the taxpayers $168 million, with another $175 million likely.
The record payout is awaiting approval by a federal bankruptcy judge. The funding for the cleanup was originally taken from the government’s Superfund environmental cleanup program, and the $250 million from W.R. Grace & Co. will reimburse taxpayers….
Read the full story at RTT News: Global Financial Newswires
by Shawn Garza
The well-respected Mayo Clinic has released a paper on mold allergies that contains a wealth of information on the subject. Topics include:
Signs and Symptoms
When to Seek Medical Advice
At QuanTEM Laboratories, we believe that mold in the home or business can cause allergic reactions, but should not be a cause for fear. It’s always best to call in a professional mold inspector and insure that any mold-like substance be tested by an accredited laboratory prior to any remediation activity.
This excellent paper by the Mayo Clinic can be viewed for free HERE
Beagle’s nose for mold carves niche for local businessman
By: Randy Metcalf
In this high technological age, the best mold detection may have four legs and floppy ears.
John Setford, owner and operator of Arizona Mold Dog Detection Services of Tucson, goes everywhere with his canine companion, Rocky the beagle.
“I am a typical mold inspector,” Setford said. “I’m certified just like any of the other inspectors in town.”
But there’s a difference. Human sight and smell are about 30 percent accurate in detecting mold. Setford said Rocky is about 90 percent accurate….
The rest of this fascinating report can be found at the website of the Explorer: News, Sports and Entertainment for Oro Valley, Marana and Northwest Tucson
New ASTM Standard Provides Asbestos Guidance
The standard, ASTM D 7390, Guide for Evaluating Asbestos in Dust on Surfaces by Comparison Between Two Environments, can assist building owners as they consider whether one area of a building has more asbestos in the dust than another area….
Learn more at OccupationalHazards.com
Phoenix’s KPHO News 5 conducted an undercover investigation in which they placed a small smudge of MASCARA on a homeowner’s wall, called in several mold remediation companies to investigate the “mold-like substance,” and found that all but one were willing to charge thousands of dollars to remove the substance instead of having it tested first to determine its “make up.” (Excuse the weak pun.)
This is indeed a sad statement about our industry and gives honorable mold remediators a bad name. For the past several years, QuanTEM Laboratories has been conducting bi-annual Mold Investigator Training courses to prevent this type of recklessness and to help prospective mold investigators follow procedures that can limit liability and potential litigation.
To read Channel 5’s investigative story and watch the VIDEO, click here.
ATLANTA, Ga. (Ivanhoe Newswire) — A musty, mildewy smell is the undeniable odor of mold. And it may be lurking in more places than you know — having harmful effects on your health. Now, we tell you how to track down mold.
Holly Russo’s tub comes clean now, but there was once a moldy nightmare lurking underneath it. “Our first reaction, when we saw the mold, was absolute horror. I could not believe what was under there. I’ve never seen anything like it,” says Russo.
Mold that’s made its way indoors can cause health problems, but many people still don’t understand the hazards. Now, industrial hygienists are growing mold to learn more about how it grows, what it grows on, and how mold makes us sick….
Read the entire story and watch the VIDEO at Ivanhoe Broadcast News