Toxic Black Mold Has Experts Calling Homeowners to Action
Super storms, changing climates and consistent flooding have recently brought the topic of toxic black mold growth back into the forefront of the minds of home and business owners across America. Toxic black mold, scientifically known as Strachybotrys atra or Strachybotrys chartarum, is a sticky, green or black fungus that festers in dark, humid indoor areas. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, its spores are constantly airborne, embedding themselves on any type of porous organic compound they can find. Wood, paper, and fabrics are all susceptible hosts for toxic black mold.
According to a recent black mold removal report filed by mold experts SI Restoration, toxic black mold can actually be deadly, depending on a person’s health situation. “People with allergies to mold can suffer serious symptoms like shortness of breath or high fevers,” explains Jeff Cohn, owner of SI Restoration. “Patients with chronic lung disease or immune deficiencies are at even greater risk when being exposed to black mold.” Because of black mold’s adaptable reproduction method and widespread distribution, its spores are difficult to avoid. Read More