Monthly Archives: May 2013

Toxic Black Mold Has Experts Calling Homeowners to Action

PRWEB.COM Newswire

Super storms, changing climates and consistent flooding have recently brought the topic of toxic black mold growth back into the forefront of the minds of home and business owners across America. Toxic black mold, scientifically known as Strachybotrys atra or Strachybotrys chartarum, is a sticky, green or black fungus that festers in dark, humid indoor areas. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, its spores are constantly airborne, embedding themselves on any type of porous organic compound they can find. Wood, paper, and fabrics are all susceptible hosts for toxic black mold.

According to a recent black mold removal report filed by mold experts SI Restoration, toxic black mold can actually be deadly, depending on a person’s health situation. “People with allergies to mold can suffer serious symptoms like shortness of breath or high fevers,” explains Jeff Cohn, owner of SI Restoration. “Patients with chronic lung disease or immune deficiencies are at even greater risk when being exposed to black mold.” Because of black mold’s adaptable reproduction method and widespread distribution, its spores are difficult to avoid. Read More

 

Budget cuts put US kids at elevated risk of lead poisoning

By Brett Wilkins, http://digitaljournal.com

At a time when hundreds of thousands of US children are suffering from lead poisoning, budget cuts mean there are fewer resources available to deal with the problem.
Earlier this month, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) estimated that more than 500,000 US children are believed to have lead poisoning. One out of every 38 children are believed to suffer from the debilitating and potentially deadly ailment, and the poor are disproportionately affected.
Children often get lead poisoning from living in old homes in which lead paint was used. Contaminated soil and drinking water and industrial lead dust also sicken children, who breathe or swallow lead particles. The heavy metal can damage children’s brains, kidneys, and other organs. Elevated levels of lead in the blood can lead to reduced intelligence, hearing impairment and behavioral and other problems.

Read more: http://digitaljournal.com/article/349098#ixzz2SXRnA8YP