Upton library gears up to fight mold
By Mike Gleason, http://www.milforddailynews.com
The Upton Town Library is plagued with mold, and officials hope that fixes planned over the next few months will solve the problem.
Library officials were alerted to the problem by bad odors.
“Historically, there has been a problem like this with the library,” Library Trustee Chairman John Robertson Jr. said. “We did feel we eliminated the problems and apparently, over time, we had. It was recently noticed, though, that an odor had returned to the library.”
In May, the library hired Gordon Mycology Laboratory in Littleton to inspect the building. The laboratory’s report, issued in July, detailed what it called “unacceptable” or “abnormal” levels of mold on building materials in the first-floor children’s section and unfinished basement, as well as evidence of rodents nesting in the walls.
“The first floor is not currently providing a healthy environment, particularly for mold-sensitized individuals or those with respiratory conditions or immune system deficiencies,” the report reads. “Ideally, although likely not possible, the library should not be occupied until the mold and moisture problems have been fully resolved.”
The report further recommends that people avoid the basement until the problem is fixed. It does note, however, that air samples from the first floor showed low mold levels consistent with indoor environments. Read More
- Moldy Books Shut Down Part of UMD Library (washington.cbslocal.com)
Posted on October 28, 2013, in Indoor Air Quality, Microbiology, Mold and tagged air quality, Mold, Mold growth assessment and remediation, Mold health issues, testing. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.