Solvent, paint exposure beyond moderate level could be a memory buster, says new study
By Judy Mottl, http://www.techtimes.com
The study released Tuesday evaluated lifetime exposure among 2,143 utility workers in France who spent workdays dealing with petroleum solvents, benzene and chlorinated solvents. Of the group, 26 percent were exposed to benzene, 33 percent to chlorinated solvents and 25 percent to petroleum solvents.
“Our findings are particularly important because exposure to solvents is very common, even in industrialized countries like the United States,” said study author Erika L. Sabbath, of the Harvard School of Public Health in Boston.
The results state that cognitive impact among moderately exposed workers may subside over a period of time but that may not be the case for higher-exposure situations.
“This has implications for physicians working with formerly solvent-exposed patients as well as for workplace exposure limit policies,” states the study. Read more
Posted on June 25, 2014, in Education, Environmental, Indoor Air Quality and tagged health risks, lead exposure, lifetime exposure, moderate exposure, Paint, solvents. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.