Woman finds mold in Chandler apartment, alleges cover-up
By Rebecca Thomas, http://www.kpho.com/
But for a Chandler woman, a leaky roof revealed an even bigger problem, one she said put her family’s health in danger.
“I woke up in the morning and my ceiling was gaping open,” Jessica Ford said.
She said water began gushing into her apartment during Monday’s storm.
Ford immediately called the management office at Laguna Village, near Arizona Avenue and Elliott Road and maintenance crews brought over an industrial fan to dry things out.
“They plugged it into this outlet while my wall was still damp,” Ford said about the counterproductive measure, since her ceiling was still leaking.
There was obvious water damage to her daughter’s room, with water pockets bulging from the ceiling.
Ford said a maintenance worker cut the ceiling open on Wednesday and what she saw shocked her.
“Mold, tons of black mold,” she said.
Again, Ford called management to report the problem and got a voicemail Thursday addressing the issue.
“That drywall has a colored backing on the back of it and that is what the discolored spots are,” said a woman who identified herself as Andrea and said she works with Laguna Village’s corporate office. “It’s actually not mold and there’s no mold that’s been seen.”
Not convinced, Ford took a sample of the sheet rock and gave it to a friend who is a biology professor.
He looked at it under a microscope and said he found very high concentrations of Stachybotrys Chartarum.
It’s a black mold known to cause respiratory problems, especially in people who have asthma, like Ford’s 6-year-old daughter. Read more
Posted on November 19, 2014, in Indoor Air Quality, Microbiology, Mold, Remediation/Renovation and tagged apartment mold, black mold, leaky roofs, Mold, mold allergy, Mold exposure, Mold growth assessment and remediation, Mold health issues. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.