Suburban asbestos deaths blamed on ‘factory of death’
By Ruth Lamperd, Herald Sun
But the catastrophic effects of the Wunderlich factory in Sunshine North have not been revealed to residents despite owner CSR paying compensation to victims.
A five-month Sunday Herald Sun investigation can today reveal the tragic toll of Melbourne’s “factory of death”, which shut in 1983.
At least 16 people who grew up within 1km of the plant — none of whom worked there — have died of asbestos-related diseases, the latest on Thursday. Another eight are known to be sick.
Residents said that on some days asbestos would swirl in clouds above the suburb and a white powder would cover windows and car dashboards in the factory’s peak years from the 1950s until the 1970s.
Allan Brander grew up in a street north of the Wunderlich factory and spent many weekends riding his bike over hectares of waste.
His son, Damian, said his father died a painful death last year, five months after being diagnosed with mesothelioma. Read more
Contact the journalist: firstname.lastname@example.org
“The disease ate him alive. If I grew up there I’d be concerned about my health now,” Mr Brander said.
Posted on December 5, 2014, in Asbestos, Litigation and tagged Air pollution, Asbestos, asbestos dust, asbestos exposure, Asbestos fibers, asbestos litigation, asbestos regulations, asbestosis, mesothelioma. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.