Daily Archives: November 2, 2015
By Adam Walser, http://www.abcactionnews.com/
Earlier this month, we told you about mold inside the St. Petersburg VA Regional Benefits Office, which employees claim is making them sick.
Now we’re hearing from a woman who says she has suffered chronic problems as a result of her exposure there, and claims she can’t get the medical care she needs.
“My first symptom was just absolute bone-numbing fatigue, then lungs, sinuses, terrible infections,” said Aileen Mullin.
She was granted workers’ comp in 2012 after doctors determined that mold inside the St. Petersburg benefits office where she works made her sick.
As the I-Team first reported, multiple reports show mold has been detected in the building for several years.
Constant leaks from a skylight and the roof have been blamed for the problem.
“January 2012 was when I was taken out in an ambulance,” said Mullin.
Since suffering her first life-threatening asthma attack, Mullin has depended on nebulizers, inhalers and prescription drugs to breathe.
Qualifying for workers’ comp has created additional issues, since her regular employee health insurance coverage no longer applies to any respiratory-related claims.
“They reversed the charges from my doctors and the doctors in turn have billed me, creating an enormous financial debt,” she said. Read more