By Lance Hernandez, http://www.thedenverchannel.com/
Work crews unknowingly loosened the dangerous fibers when they began replacing windows at the Carmel Park Apartments several weeks ago.
State health officials say the asbestos was in a texture compound on existing drywall, and that some of the drywall had been cut away to remove the old windows and install the new.
They say just a small amount of material was loosened in the affected apartments.
The contamination wasn’t discovered until a repairman, who knew there was asbestos in the popcorn ceiling, told the window installers there “might” be asbestos in the drywall texture.
“They tested it and found asbestos,” said Christopher Dann of the Air Pollution Control Division of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
Apartment management then sent a note to affected tenants asking them to move out temporarily while licensed crews clean up the contamination. Read More