By Plymouth Herald, http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/
Eighty per cent of teddy bears are contaimianted with bacteria linked to food poisioning and a quarter harbour bugs commonly found in faeces.
That is according to new resaerch carried out by Dettol – which also found that 90 per cent of children regularly drop their teddies on the floor and 75 per cebt of bears aren’t washed after a child has been ill.
New laboratory research also revealed cuddly toys have the highest levels of bacteria in the family laundry basket.
Microbiologists swab-tested a variety of children’s teddies and found that over 80% were contaminated with staphylococcus spp (a pathogen associated with food poisoning) and almost a quarter contained coliforms, indicating a possible presence of harmful organisms. Read more
By Francesca Williams, BBC News
Children in a County Durham village used to spend their days playing with lethal asbestos from a local factory. One, now 51, has cancer. What will happen to the rest?
Forty-five years later she will be contemplating the cancerous mesothelioma in her lungs which is “growing out like a fungus”.
“I was doomed from then,” Caroline Wilcock says. “There was nothing I could have done between then and now to make a difference. I’m pleased I didn’t know it.”
She was one of many children in Bowburn who, between 1967 and 1983, played with asbestos from the factory opposite her house.
Its parent company, Cape Intermediate Holdings, is paying her a “substantial” out-of-court settlement, although it has denied liability for her illness.
Caroline describes a white, chalky film of asbestos dust on “the grass, the flowers and the bushes”. It also settled on window ledges.
The mothers were less impressed. Ann Sproat, a friend of Caroline’s sister, remembers them constantly cleaning.
“If cleaning wasn’t done we couldn’t see out the windows,” she says. “It was coming down like little dust particles, like tiny little aniseed balls.” Read More