By Holly Yan and Ben Brumfield, CN
A Pittsburgh hospital has temporarily stopped organ transplants after three transplant patients contracted a fungal infection and died.
The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center voluntarily suspended transplants at UMC Presbyterian “until we have completed our investigation and are satisfied that we’ve done all we can do to address the situation,” UPMC Chief Medical and Scientific Officer Dr. Steven D. Shapiro said.
Shapiro said Monday that the suspension could last two or three days. He said the medical center is reaching out to all its patients with scheduled organ transplants and “will do everything we can to make sure patients receive life-saving transplants if they are critically ill.”
Officials have struggled to find the source of the mold that infected patients at UPMC.
The fungus isn’t some kind of killer mold. It’s a household kind — ordinary indoor mold.
It doesn’t threaten the general population, or patients and staff with normal immune systems at the hospital. But UPMC said it believes the mold may have contributed to the deaths of organ transplant patients.
One transplant patient died Thursday at UPMC Montefiore, the medical center said.
Two other patients died in October and in June at UPMC Presbyterian, CNN affiliate WTAE-TV reported.
And UPMC said another patient became deathly ill with the same kind of mold infection. Read more